Congratulations to all of the girls basketball athletes that were named TVRA All Stars.
Fran Wigston Award – Claire Tamminga
Congratulations to Claire Tamminga of Strathroy District Collegiate Institute, as she is the TVDSB Central winner of the Fran Wigston award for 2022.
Claire has played high school basketball at the senior level since grade 9. Claire led the SDCI team this year to a 7-1 record, averaging 17pts/game.
Claire has a 97% average in her University pathway courses which are diverse including all of the Sciences, English, all Math’s and several Social Sciences. Claire is trusted by staff and was hand-picked by her teacher to take on the role of tutor for a 3U Physics students with learning challenges. Claire also tutors a student who lives at the Women’s Rural Resource Centre taking full remote studies. Claire spends every lunch in the ASD room playing board games with a student who’s support team attests to the deep impact the relationship has had on his well being.
Claire manages her time so that she can train hard, study hard and contribute to her school community. In addition to her volunteerism in ASD and peer tutoring, Claire is part of the Student Athletic Association (SAA). Claire helped organize and run the Frosh Day experience, taking the role of a peer buddy for a DE student during the activities.
Ms. Basketball – Chantal Piche’
Congratulations to Chantal Piche’ of Sir Wilfrid Laurier High School as she is the TVDSB Central winner of the Ms. Basketball award for 2022. Some of Chantal’s accolades include:
- 2022 City Finals Champions (undefeated season)
- 2022 Silver Medalist at WOSSA
- Captain of the basketball team in Grade 10, 12 and 13
- Won the PHD (Pride, Hustle, and Determination) award for London CYO U16 team
- Member of the Ramblers Juel team
- Executive member of the Best Buddies club at Laurier
- Grade 9,10, and 12 Female Athlete of the Year
- 2022 Female SPECTRA nominee
- Winner of the Jim Stevenson Award in grade 12 (student-athlete who has contributed the most to athletics and student life at Laurier)